Electrical Pollution: What it's Doing to You
By Shivani Arjuna <SArjuna@aol.com>
Jan. 24, 2004
(This article was written for publication in the quarterly of The American Polarity Therapy Association.)
Electrical pollution, invisible, silent, odorless, tasteless, is the perfect pollutant. We have not evolved any methods of sensing its presence. A few people, like me, have become "electrically sensitive" and are able to know when we are being exposed due to immediate symptoms that we experience, but most people, even if exposed to levels and wave lengths that are literally killing them, notice nothing. Everyone living in areas of the world with electricity is being negatively affected. It is only a question of degree. (Dr. Neil Cherry, Evidence That Electromagnetic Radiation Is Genotoxic: the implications for the epidemiology of cancer and cardiac, neurological and reproductive effects. His presentation to New Zealand Parliament in May 2000, European Parliament in June, 2000. Look for link at www.electricalpollution.com/ Monumental.)
Electricity is termed “dirty” or polluted when the normal 60 cycle sine wave carries with it various high frequencies, which damage electronics and living beings. Industry and large corporations spend billions to protect their electronic equipment from this, but nobody is looking out for humans.
The present pollution is created as electricity passes through anything electronic, which “chops up” the sine wave and then dumps these high frequencies into the current as it is passed on. This RF (radio frequency) energy causes neurological, cardiac, respiratory, ophthalmological, dermatological and other conditions ranging in severity from headaches, fatigue and ADD to pneumonia, psychosis and strokes. (“No Place To Hide” Volume 3, Number 1, April 2001, “Special Issue on Russian and Ukrainian Research” Editor Arthur Firstenberg lists all proven RF symptoms. Can be obtained at (718) 434-4499 or see at www.electricalpollution.com/) Childhood leukemia, a good indicator, is markedly higher in areas with electrical pollution from ground current. (N. Wertheimer, D. Savitz & E. Leeper Childhood cancer In relation to indicators of magnetic fields from ground current sources, Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 16, pp. 86-96, 1995))
In “the old days” before electronics, electrical power was polluted at the source, by brushes in the generators. A monumental epidemiological study using childhood leukemia as a marker found an absolutely correlating increase in this disease in areas of the USA, Africa and Europe as they sequentially became electrified. (Samuel Milham & E.M. Ossiander, Historical evidence that residential electrification caused the emergence of childhood leukemia peak, Medical Hypotheses, vol. 56, #3, 2001, pp. 290-295) Generators now produce clean power but modern pollution levels are much higher due to electronics.
For every electron that leaves a substation, one must return. As electricity polluted with high frequencies likes to spread out in what is called the skin effect, the presently inadequate utility wiring system causes 70% of the return current to flow across the surface of the earth. Most people think the earth soaks up electricity like a sponge. It does not. Electricity just flows over the surface, like water over a brick. This ground current is attracted to, and enters your home on, water pipes, gas mains and phone lines, greatly increasing the amount of high-frequency exposure you already have from your own electrical service. Various metal structures in your home, from wiring and lamp cords to fins in electric baseboards and the metal springs in your bed actually broadcast these harmful frequencies right through your body 24 hours a day, whether or not any electrical appliances in your house are turned on. In many places attempts to ground bring in more current than they take out!
You may have read that strong EMF is created by your refrigerator, hair dryer, etcetera. This is true, but the electronics in your house are really quite a small part of the picture as electricity is already extremely RF-polluted when it enters your home, from everybody "upstream." It is not commonly known even by those who write on this subject, nor by many who do professional remediation, that the RF is the main culprit.
Doctors are as unaware of this situation as everyone else, so the best way to determine whether someone's health problems are related to RF is to lower the RF levels and see what happens. In schools and homes where RF remediation has been done, many kids with Attention Deficit Disorder suddenly don't have it any more, and teachers with mysterious maladies that kept them from working a full work week now don't miss a day. Kids who had such severe asthma they needed nebulizer treatments no longer do and many chronic headaches and complaints of chronic tiredness have melted away. (Melrose Chronicle, Melrose, WI 2/26/03) Many diabetics find that their need for insulin drops dramatically or even ends when they avoid RF, and conversely that it increases when they are exposed. (My friend and mentor Dave Stetzer’s blood sugar skyrockets within minutes when he is exposed to RF, which for him has proven to be the sole causative factor. To date, the blood sugar of every person he has tested is affected within minutes.) Cows give up to 10 more pounds of milk per day on the days when the RF in their environment is low (Donald Hillman et al, Relationship of electric power quality to milk production of dairy herds, Shocking News, 9/11/02 Also avail. at wwww.electricalpollution.com), and 20 pounds more if power quality is remediated and remains clean (Conversation with power quality expert Dave Stetzer of Blair, WI). I myself have needed less thyroid hormone as my electrical environment has been improved, yet notably more on days with more RF exposure. [Since writing this, I have been able to discontinue use of thyroid hormone altogether, after spending some tme away from home in a yet cleaner electrical environment.]
My own story illustrates both the effects of RF exposure and the challenges of dealing with them We live in a Wisconsin Winnie-the-Pooh three-acre beech and maple woods surrounded by farms and woodland. Not a place where you’d expect to find dangerous environmental pollution, so that was not suspected when I began to have "spells." Although I previously had low blood pressure, I began experiencing spells of a sudden, sharp rise in blood pressure with skyrocketing pulse rate and wild cardiac arrhythmia. I was taken to the ER by ambulance twice, but by the time I got there pronounced normal. $18,000 worth of medical tests, including a MRI of my brain, as finally a tumor was suspected, found nothing to account for these and other bizarre, frightening symptoms,. Bewildered doctors finally pronounced that I was “just having panic attacks.” They prescribed beta blockers, which block normal stimulation of many bodily systems including the heart, but these rendered me so zombielike that I refused them. Insomnia increased to the point where I was sleeping, in broken bits, from 3-5 hours a night. I felt as if I was made out of paper. Just breathing and walking felt taxing. My anxiety level was extreme, my adrenals were exhausted and my thyroid needed help from hormone replacement. Already slender, I became a shadow. My husband had to care for me, and I wasn't sure I was going to survive.
I had previously read a bit about EMF, and it occurred to me to try some experiments, such as sleeping in different places in the house. I noticed immediate symptoms if I went near a TV, a telephone, a car fan, the water pipes in our house.... (Later I would discover I had become “electrically sensitive,” a sort of walking EMF meter, affected by dimmer switches, electric heating systems, computers in banks and post offices, the chair at the dentist’s office, .... )
At least now I had a clue. Fortunately, I was put in touch with a power quality engineer who graciously taught me about power quality and how to clean up my immediate environment and save my life. We did experiments and took readings with a variety of meters, indoors and out. We put in shielded phone lines, moved water pipes, made the first few feet of incoming water pipe nonconductive (Some RF still jumps onto the pipes from house wiring.). We gutted old electric baseboards that though disconnected were broadcasting RF over large areas including our bedroom, and got all metal out of and away from the bed. We installed RF filters, removed dimmer switches and fluorescent lights, sold the aquarium, got me a speaker phone and a laptop computer I use on battery only, and I avoid the high-field parts of the yard.
With each of these steps results were immediate and dramatic. The cardiac symptoms ceased. I was able to sleep. My anxiety level dropped. My recovery has been steady and I am much better. Only, however, to the extent to which I am able to avoid RF. I was exposed to extreme levels of electrical pollution for many months, and remain electrically sensitive to date, with quite-circumscribed activities. Even at home, RF is not totally unavoidable when the power is on. I am markedly better on days spent away from the house in areas free of ground current, and in warm weather when the main can be off at night.
Though our local power quality was shown by independent test to be poorer than most, toxic electricity is a chronic, severe stress affecting virtually everyone, that only increases as the pollution proliferates. Individuals who have cleaned up their immediate environments universally notice dramatic improvement in a wide range of conditions and symptoms, usually of conditions that they had never thought of as related to electrical pollution.
I offer the following points and ideas for your further consideration. ( Space here allows for only a small portion of the relevant facts. Please get in touch for more information.)
- If you have clients who, in spite of doing "all the right things" still do not flourish, consider what RF they are living in.
- I gave several Polarity sessions to a woman whose apartment was by a hefty electric cable, with EMF levels high enough to cause childhood leukemia. The usual techniques simply did not work there. How does EMF affect Polarity sessions?
- Dr. Robert Becker theorizes that healers sense a disease site in a patient through radiating an EMF from their hands which induces EM resonance in the patient, the return signal then being felt by the healer. A resonant action occurs between the fields given off by the healer and the intrinsic electrical-control systems within the patient's body. "While these currents have a vanishingly small flow, they would nonetheless produce local DC magnetic fields within the tissues. These fields, in combination with a frequency given off by the healer, could result in resonance with other charged particles." As the theory rests on complex resonance, the Earth's magnetic field must be involved. Dr. Becker therefore reasons that healers have greater diagnostic and healing ability during times of quiet geomagnetic field conditions and that their abilities are adversely affected by magnetic storms and locations in which man-made magnetic fields or extra low frequency (ELF) fields are present. (Becker, Cross Currents, 240-241) An important issue for Polarity therapists to consider and research.
- The current induced in the body is a product of field strength and frequency. A field oscillating at 180 Hz induces three times the current in you as a 60-cycle field does. In such a field, every cell in the body will experience a shift in polarity 180 times a second.
- Our natural body currents are DC. Earth itself has a very strong DC field with which we evolved. AC is damaging to living systems, inducing currents within them which DC does not.
- The Earth's field fluctuates with time of day. Different organ systems of the body are more energized at different times of day. Sensitivity to the minute fluxes in the Earth’s natural magnetic field is the most important component of our circadian rhythms. (Levitt, ibid., 118-120)
- Dr. Becker believes "That humans interact so fundamentally with the earth's magnetic fields...may be the most important biological discovery of the 20th century." It may also be a hidden variable in all research.
- The belief that only ionizing (heating) radiation can harm living organisms has been absolutely disproven, yet persists as the basis for “official” exposure guidelines.
- Living organisms are sensitive electromagnetic systems that run on millivolts. Vanishingly small charges far below the threshold of awareness affect them. (Exposure guidelines set by utility-supported "experts" are still based on voltage, to avoid palpable shocks. The frequency of the field or current is, however, the key factor.)
- Safety standards are based on exposures considered safe for the average adult male, however children are more affected by EMF than adults. The greater the cell division rate, the more chances for something to go wrong, and the growth processes themselves are affected by EMF, babies in utero being most affected. Field-created defects are permanent and are passed on to succeeding generations, for instance the inheritance of brain-tumor tendency in children of men with high occupational exposures. ( Dr. S Nordstrum, "Effects of paternal EMF exposure on offspring, Bioelectromagnetics, vol. 4, pp. 91-101, 1983) "There may also be frequency-specific windows for different organ systems, meaning that certain exposures may be particularly detrimental at fixed times during fetal growth." (Levitt, ibid.)
-Each individual is a unique receiving antenna. For instance, one' s height affects which wavelengths one receives most easily. ( Polk, ibid. chapter 9) Weight and fat/water content play roles, as do metals (teeth, implants) in the body. ( C. Polk & J.H. Song, Electric fields induced by LF magnetic fields in in homogenous biological structures... Bioelectromagnetics vol. 11, 235-249, 1990)
- Cell polarity is disrupted by EMF and currents, with profound effects. Healthy cells have: polarized walls with positive charge outside, negative inside; few and small pores; calcium ions mostly outside cells; ability to communicate with other cells via molecules; ability to attract attaching information-bearing molecules. Their ability to choose what to allow in and out depends on electrical charges on ions like calcium, sodium, proteins, sugars, hormones, etcetera, as well as pore size and cell wall polarity. Cells affected by EMF and currents: lose polarity; have calcium ions equally inside and out; lose ability to manufacture enzymes; have more and larger pores, allowing waste molecules to penetrate the cell. If the field or current is of long duration, the cells die. This is called electroporation. (J.C. Weaver, Molecular basis for cell membrane electroporation, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 720, pp. 141-152, 1994. Several more references listed in CURE booklet.)
- Melatonin production is decreased by exposure to EMF. Though most known as the hormone necessary for good sleep, melatonin has such numerous functions that wellness is not possible when it is insufficient. It regulates our internal clock, affects gonadal hormones, moods and behavior and the immune system and exerts direct effects on the growth of breast, prostate and colon cancers. (R.P. Liburdy et al, ELF magnetic fields, breast cancer and melatonin, Journal of Pineal Research,vol. 14, p. 89, 1993)
- We are particularly sensitive to EMF during sleep, the time when various healing activities take place in the body. (It is interesting that the front-to-back polarity of our brains reverses during this time. Levitt, ibid.133) The effects of spending eight hours asleep in a toxic electrical field are severe.
- Resonance occurs when an aspect of a force, such its wave length, matches a characteristic of an object receiving the force. This allows the power inherent in the force to be maximally transferred to the object, causing it to vibrate. (The crystal goblet when the opera singer hits high C, for instance.) Within the object, the resonance is self-perpetuating. You and I are objects being thus affected.
- Cyclotron resonance enables very low-strength EM fields, acting in concert with the Earth’s steady-state magnetic field, to produce major biological effects by concentrating the energy in the applied field upon specific particles, such as the biologically important ions of sodium, calcium, potassium, and lithium.” This resonance is produced by frequencies between 1 and 100 hertz. European electricity is 50 hertz and N. American is 60 hertz! Yet safety standards have been based on power, not frequency. (Becker, ibid. 235)
We need to learn as much as possible about how our highly sensitive electromagnetic energy systems are affected by external electric fields entering the body. Presently, both military and utility establishments exercise undemocratic freedom in ways very harmful to the citizenry and no one is looking out for individuals regarding EMF. We must educate ourselves and take protective measures on our own.
The literal future of humanity depends on our ability to live with increasing amounts of high-frequency radiation. Polarity practitioners have the perfect background to do further research on the effects of EMF and come up with health-saving remedial measures. Please get in touch with the author if this interests you, and also for much more information than could be included here, including numerous household remediation techniques.
RESOURCES: Good introduction, info. on RF filters at www.electricalpollution.com See also http://emfacts.com/, http://www.ortho.lsumc.edu/Faculty/Marino/EMF.html and www.emfguru.org. B. Blake Levitt's book, ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS includes much not elsewhere readily available re. the effects of EMF on animals and plant life. Dr. Robert O. Becker's book, CROSS CURRENTS, is a "must read." Call C.U.R.E at 715-564-3362 for an information-dense booklet with 200 references. ( I suggest a $5 donation.) Out of print but still available is Lucinda Grant’s HANDBOOK OF ELECTRICAL SENSITIVITY.
|All information posted on this web site is the opinion of the author and is provided for educational purposes only. It is not to be construed as medical advice. Only a licensed medical doctor can legally offer medical advice in the United States. Consult the healer of your choice for medical care and advice.|